Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sometimes Loss is a Good Thing

Since I got back to Colorado, I've had a few interesting losses.

When I started this adventure, one of my hopes was that a more active outdoor lifestyle would improve my health.  Well, I didn't think too much of needing to buy a belt while I was in Brunswick (I just figured the waistbands on my old pants were stretching). But, after arriving in Denver, I did step on a scale (I didn't have one on the boat).  To my surprise I had lost about 35 pounds without any attempt to diet.  My only difference was cooking at home more and working on the boat more than sitting behind the "glowing boxes" (computers, televisions) most of the day.  One benefit I had hoped for seems to be realized.  A big win for me.

I've also suffered from a couple kidney stones in recent years.  I apparently have a genetic predisposition for them as my father suffers from them periodically as well.  Over the past dozen or more years I've had a couple "procedures" to remove stones.  Late last year, before I left to go live on the boat, my doctor found another stone and an ESWL procedure was performed to break up the stone in hopes that it would pass.  Shortly before leaving, they did an x-ray and found that most of the stone had passed but there was a small stubborn fragment that was still stuck in my kidney.  We tried using an inversion table and a few other techniques to try to get it to pass, but it would not budge.  So, I left for the boat with the fragment and instructions to "keep an eye on it".

Since I am back in Colorado, it seemed like a good time to go to the doctor to check up on the stone.  I went to the doctor a few days ago, got the usual X-ray, and waited for the doctor.  Imagine my surprise when the doctor came in and told me that they saw no signs of the stone fragment.  Apparently I had passed the thing.  Woohoo!  I hadn't really thought of it until now, but I didn't start having stone issues until I was firmly settled in my software engineering career (and associated sedentary lifestyle).  I now wonder if it is the lack of movement while sitting behind a computer all day is a big part of stone formation.  Getting out and moving about...and maybe hanging from the mast a time or two...definitely seems to help them pass.  Regardless of the reason, I'm very happy to be stone free again and I hope it stays that way now.

It really seems to me that our, or at least my, modern lifestyle is not a good thing for long term health.  Being sedentary isn't good, sitting for long periods isn't good, stress isn't good...and the list goes on.

Speaking of stress, I've lost something that was causing a lot of stress in my life as well.  My job.  During the last boat move from Southport to Deltaville, it became very apparent to me that my wife and I really need to shift things into high gear and move on with our lives.  The reason I came back to Colorado is to help in that regard.  Working full time has limited the amount of time I've been able to dedicate to our new life.  Add in that the working conditions, management, and morale have continued to degrade at the job over the last year and it made the decision to leave a fairly easy one.  I submitted my resignation, including a two week notice, when I returned to Colorado. The company apparently decided that they didn't want me to transfer any additional knowledge of the projects I was working on to anyone else and released me the next day.  Guess it was good for them that I had already been transferring knowledge so my departure would be reasonably smooth and there are only a few systems that people will have to go figure out on their own.  At least one of us was professional about it.

So, over the past weeks and months I've lost a few things...and all for the better.  I can't wait to get back to the boat and my new, healthier, life.


14 comments:

  1. Woohoo, congratulations! Those are some fantastic losses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Mike, I must say I am pretty jealous. I have been following your blog since the start and it is nice to see you are following your dream. I look forward to your blog entries and hope you continue to post in the future. Best of luck to you and your wife and I will miss you here at work ;)


    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. S. I'll definitely keep on posting.

      Delete
  3. Mike, this is your best post yet! Love It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. Couldn't have made it this far without your help.

      Delete
  4. The universe seems to be enthusiastically endorsing your decisions. I think you're on to something. Keep it up, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know about the universe, but there are definitely indications that I'm making some better decisions about my life. :-)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Nick and Conchi! Too bad that the job wasn't as professional about your resignation as you were, but hey...that's the world we live in and the one you are breaking free from. If anything, it should just reassure you that you've made the right call and once you guys get everything squared away there and you're wife joins you in that same departure, you're going to feel reborn! To leaving the rat race behind!!!! Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks guys!

      Hope to see you out there soon as well.

      Delete
  6. Hallelujah!!! Fly be free (little Mork from Ork for ya). Time to kick the departure plans in high gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...Nanu nanu Dave. ;-) Working on speeding things up as best I can.

      Delete
  7. Excellent on all counts! Hope to see you out there over the next few months.

    Deb
    S/V Kintala
    www.theretirementproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, I thought so. Maybe now I can even find a little more time to catch up on the reading I would like to do.

      Hope to be back out there soon.

      Delete