We are currently sitting at Port Covington in Baltimore. Not a place I would consider scenic by any means. This is a very industrial port in a city that I doubt anyone would consider picturesque. On the bright side, it isn't as pricey as most of the surrounding areas if you are sitting at a dock. So this was as good a place as any to let things settle a bit and decide how to proceed
|On the dock in Baltimore.|
Do we move off the boat and put her up for sale right here? As I mentioned, this is a relatively inexpensive place to let Rover sit while up for sale. The boat would be accessible for anyone who wanted to take a look at her. With the Annapolis boat show coming up, having it a reasonable drive away might be advantageous, but I'm not sure how many people are actively shopping for used boats while there. Baltimore is quite hot right now, but it doesn't stay that way. If the boat weren't sold by the time it starts getting cold, the boat would need to be hauled and winterized for the season. Winterized, the boat wouldn't be easy to look at for a potential buyer. We also don't have anyone we trust who could keep an eye on the boat. In the end, it doesn't seem like keeping her up here in the Chesapeake is the best option
The other option is to take the boat south. When we were shopping, we spent most of our time in Florida. It seems that is where many of the catamarans tend to reside (at least the ones in the U.S.). It is also where more services that are familiar with catamarans tend to reside. To top it off, it is where the broker we intend to use for the sale is located. While it is a long way from the Annapolis boat show, I just don't see it generating much more traffic beyond "tire-kickers", so I don't think we will miss much. On the other hand, being available year-round and well positioned for a new owner to take the hop over to the Bahamas might be more worthwhile.
Of course, there is a bit of a problem with this second option. Remember that my wife said she didn't want to do this anymore? Yeah, that might be a problem. This is why I didn't really suggest this option. Surprisingly, she did.
I've asked her several times now, and it seems she is OK with this. In fact, the last few days she seems happy (or maybe that is just the hopes of leaving...ahem...scenic Baltimore harbor). In any case, it appears we may be taking one last cruise.
|A while back in St. Augustine|
This time I hope all the schedules and pressures are gone and we can have a leisurely trip south...and hopefully we can keep the need for repairs to a minimum too.
And if anyone has any sights not to miss on a trip from the Chesapeake to Florida, let us know.