Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Departures, Bad Omens, and Bad Internet

I know it has once again been a while since I made a post.  Sorry, but it has been difficult to find time or the motivation.  Then when I had the time, other things conspired against me.  So, to catch everyone up with what is happening…

After getting the cushions done, I wrapped up a little outstanding maintenance and we finished cleaning up the boat so it would be presentable for sale.  I think it now looks better than anytime we have owned it. Our broker made the trek up from St. Augustine and took some pictures and videos for the listing. He seemed very impressed with the current shape of the boat. We met with and hired Carolina Yacht Care to watch over our boat in our absence.  We divided up everything we owned into things we wanted to keep and things we could give away or donate (we already sold a few things like the folding bikes). After finding homes for the donations, we packed up all but a couple of the boxes of stuff to keep into the two cars. The extra boxes were taken to the post office and shipped back to Colorado.

Ready for her next owners.

A couple days before we left, our eldest dog started getting sick. We put her on a bland diet and that seemed to help. We departed Southport on the 17th, despite the threatening potential ice storms that were predicted to block our path.  Fortunately, we left late enough that we missed most of the ice and only found heavy rains. Unfortunately, this was when one of the clips holding the driver’s side windshield wiper blade on my car decided to fail. I noticed it was at an odd angle and pulled over in the rain to investigate.  Finding the failed clip, I managed to tape the broken wiper clip to the arm and it held until we could find a replacement blade in the next town.

That evening at the hotel, our eldest dog got sick again.  This was a pattern that ended up repeating itself pretty much every evening for the remainder of the trip. The driving marathon ended up taking 4 very tiring days of getting up, getting in the car, driving as far as we could manage, find a hotel, and repeat the next day.

After arriving in Denver, the very next morning I was hit hard by a nasty chest cold.  For those that don’t remember, pretty much the exact same thing happened the last time I was in town. If I were a superstitious sailing type, all of these things might be telling me this might be a mistake.

There was a bit of a communications snafu with the broker, but the boat listing should be up shortly. That is if the spotty internet we have where we are currently staying will manage to work long enough to work out the details with the brokerage company. 

The path ahead seems quite clouded and the sea and warm breezes continue to beckon to me.


5 comments:

  1. Sorry to see it all ending - please do post a link to the advert once the boat is listed. Hope you and the dog feel better soon, best of luck on your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it is completely over, may just be a very different approach. The listing is live on Yacht world, but there are a few errors in the specs (loa, beam, mast height appear ro have been taken from the wrong vintage L 38) that I want to get corrected before I post a link.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure it is completely over, may just be a very different approach. The listing is live on Yacht world, but there are a few errors in the specs (loa, beam, mast height appear ro have been taken from the wrong vintage L 38) that I want to get corrected before I post a link.

      Delete
  2. I've been following your blog for so long that it feels like I'm swallowing a bit of your anchor myself. You've been an inspiration and I wish you both the best of luck in whatever comes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't feel bad. Glad my story was somewhat inspirational.

      Now that I'm back in Colorado it definitely feels like it doesn't fit so who knows what the future will bring.

      Delete