Monday, March 19, 2012

How it all began (part 2)

Continuing from the previous post...employed again, I was back on the rat wheel.  But a bit more determined to figure out an alternative lifestyle that didn't need to wait for retirement.

During the next scheduled 2 week rat race reprieve (aka vacation) we went to Marathon, Florida.  While there, we came across a brochure for a dinner cruise offered by Sunny Sail Charters.  We had a great time, and it was there that we found out that our hosts Bill and Laura actually lived aboard the boat we were on full time. The seed was planted.


I came back from vacation and started looking into what it would "really be like" to live on a sailboat.  I started reading e-books and blogs of people who have done it.  The more I researched, the more I realized that living aboard a sailboat ticked a lot of the boxes we've been wanting to include in our lifestyle change:
  • Energy efficient, off-grid - check (with solar and/or wind, watermaker).
  • Get rid of excess space that just collects junk - big check.
  • Reduced cost of living - check.
  • Living where we vacation - check.
  • Travel - check.
Of course there are downsides as well (more maintenance, a house that rocks with the waves, hurricanes, and I'm pretty sure my current house won't sink among others), but I think this may be just what we need.  Of course, I guess the downsides are part of what I'll be discovering while I document all of this.

So, that is how this crazy idea got started.  Looking forward to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment