Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fish And A Coconut

I felt inspired to try creating a dish given a few ingredients we might have on our boat plus what we could theoretically "scavenge"...fish and a coconut.

I started with the coconut.  I placed the coconut water into a pan (conserving fresh water), heated over medium heat and added some of the fresh coconut and Italian seasoning, and used that to cook some mahi fillets .  I then removed the fish and added a little Media Crema and a little too much cayenne pepper (oops) and made a simple pan sauce for the fish.

In addition I tried the rice in a thermos thing again, and this time it worked very well.  I found the trick is to start like you are cooking the rice normally (use the specified amount of water, and add the rice to the water then bring it to a boil.  Once it boils, into the thermos it goes until it is needed.


The Mahi in a Spicy Coconut Cream Sauce over Rice, other than being just a bit too spicy, was pretty simple to prepare.  It used items I assume will be part of our standard provisions or could be "hunted or gathered" and was pretty good.  Maybe next time I'll skip the cayenne and add a little mango...mmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment